Pont-neuf et Château Raoul

Le Pont-Neuf a été construit en 1824 pour relier la ville de Châteauroux au faubourg Saint-Christophe alors en pleine expansion.

Ce pont de pierre suppléait à l’ancien pont de bois parallèle, actuel pont Gütersloh. De ce pont, on a une vue favorable sur le Château Raoul, forteresse attestée dès 917, et ses trois petites tours à l’Ouest. Ce "château de Déols" est construit sur un éperon rocheux dominant la rive gauche de l’Indre, site stratégique choisi par les seigneurs de Déols pour symboliser leur pouvoir. À l’origine, il possédait un donjon de bois, puis fut reconstruit en pierre après un incendie survenu en 1088. Il prit au XIIe siècle, le nom de Château Raoul du prénom des seigneurs locaux. L’actuel château a été bâti au XVe siècle par Guy III de Chauvigny dans un style gothique puis rénové dans un style néo-gothique par les architectes Alfred et Henri Dauvergne fin XIXe siècle, début XXe siècle. Depuis le XVIIe siècle, le château fut une résidence d’administrateurs du duché et en 1792, devenu bien national, il fut acheté par le département de l’Indre. Charpentes, toiture et façades ont été restaurées entre 2009 et 2011.

The Pont-Neuf was built in 1824 to link the city of Châteauroux to the Saint-Christophe district, which was expanding rapidly at that time. This stone bridge supplemented the old wooden bridge (now the Pont Gütersloh) which stood parallel to it. From the Pont- Neuf, there is a good view of the Château Raoul, a fortress whose existence is recorded as far back as 917, and the three little towers on its west side. This “Château de Déols” was built on a rocky spur overhanging the left bank of the Indre, a strategic site chosen by the lords of Déols as a symbol of their power. It originally had a wooden keep, but a stone one was built in its place following a fire in 1088. In the 12th century, it was named Château Raoul, Raoul being a common name among the local lords. The current château was built by Guy III de Chauvigny in the 15th century. Originally constructed in the Gothic style, it was renovated in the Neo-Gothic style in the late 19th and early 20th century by the architects Alfred and Henri Dauvergne. From the 17th century, the castle served as a residence for the duchy administrators and, in 1792, the Château Raoul, now national property, was bought by the Indre département. Its structures, roof and facades were all restored between 2009 and 2011.

Retour en haut de la page